Blue Wizard Digital—an independent game studio in Comox, BC (Vancouver Island)—is seeking to contract a creative and talented 3D Artist to work on an upcoming mobile game project being built in the Unity engine.
We are looking for artists who are confident creating cartoon/stylized visuals similar to the character designs in this ArtStation collection: https://www.artstation.com/nateschmold2/collections/2027565
The employment term will last 8 months (with a possibility of extension) and requires coordination with the game designers, art director and fellow artists to develop optimized low-poly textured character models based on original character designs. In addition to knowledge of existing art packages, applicants must have clear communication skills, a solid work ethic, and be self-motivated.
What You Will Do
- Take established character design concepts and translate them into attractive, low-poly 3D models.
- Make suggestions and provide insight towards character design challenges and their potential solutions.
- Provide expertise on best practices and workflows that would benefit the project and deliverables.
- Model and texture 3D assets to be used within Unity for mobile devices.
- Build 3D character models with the intention of an animator animating them.
- Work with materials and matcaps to achieve a high quality look within Unity.
- Communicate with other team members and project leads to establish effective pipelines and asset integration.
- Assist with additional non-character 3D art where required (environments, props, etc)
- A huge bonus if you are able to provide additional ideas and concepts for new potential character designs.
What You Will Bring
- 3+ years 3D modeling and texturing skills in Maya or Blender.
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop is required.
- Experience with mobile game development & art optimizations.
- Experience with texturing and materials in the context of a mobile game.
- Experience working with Matcaps within the Unity engine.
- Understanding of Unity animation requirements and best practices.
- Flexible, patient, and open to clear & respectful professional criticism.
- Creative input on designs for the sake of style or optimization.
- Solid and well-rounded art skills (eg. able to sketch).
- Ability to work on time-sensitive projects while following precise directions.
- High motivation and creative thinking as an innovative self-starter.
- A somewhat morbid but healthy sense of humour.
Full Time; Term employment for 8 months; Remote or in-studio.
Negotiable depending on level of experience.
Our ideal candidate could start immediately.
After more than a decade of making gems clink and pegs… peggle, PopCap co-founder Jason Kapalka (Bejeweled, Peggle, Plants vs Zombies) founded Blue Wizard Digital in 2014 to provide an outlet for ten years of pent-up violence and lust, with the goal of creating the sexiest, violentest games ever released on mobile, PC, and console platforms. A cabal of degenerates soon shambled from their swampy dens to join this unholy crusade.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to with a current CV and your portfolio to apply for this position!